05 January 2015

Mahinda's 'Accepting Defeat' Speech (Draft)

Victory speeches are long.  Statements from the defeated camp are also long.  They usually consist of a lot of homilies, chest-beating and finger-pointing.  It’s quite alright and even necessary to thank those who helped.  A bit of chest-beating is allowed; so too the articulation of reasons for defeat.  Troop morale has to be maintained, after all.  But there are things that don’t get scripted into such speeches.  In the event Mahinda Rajapaksa loses, perhaps he could use some of this.  

We are all born, we are subject to decay, we die.  None of us are immortal.  We rise, we fall.  This is not the first time I have tasted defeat.  Of course it is not an eventuality that I envisaged, but neither is it an outcome that I cannot accept. I lost.  The people of this country were called upon to assess my work and to show confidence on my ability to lead them into the future. They made a decision.  I accept their verdict in all humility. 

I must say that I cannot think of any other person who is better suited to lead our beloved nation than Mr Maithripala Sirisena.  He is, like me, a man who understands the heartbeat of our nation and who has the pulse of our people.  He is a seasoned politician.  He is a good man.  I can go with the assurance that the nation which I recovered for our people from the clutches of terrorism and all related fears is in safe and capable hands.  I wish him and his team all success.

There are lots of things that come with power.  All these things I will leave behind.  I was a village boy.  I came to the city.  I lived in the city.  The village never left me.  It is not difficult for me to return home.  I go home a happy man who did what he could to the nation and people he loved, who enjoyed their affection and trust and who understands that even these are not forever. 

There is a time to work, there’s a time to rest.  There is a time to act and a time to reflect.  My time for reflection has arrived. 

See also:

2 comments:

Channa said...

I think HE's one action, of leaving Temple Trees even before the final results were announced, spoke much louder than words, but I assume he silently echoed what you wrote.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see what you will write on Sirisena in another 4-5 years